5 Rookie Gift Giving Fails
Giving gifts is awesome, just make sure you try to avoid these common gift giving fails before you start buying.
- The Classic Re-gift- Your goofy aunt gives you a hideous sweater and you pass it on to your niece, knowing that she will never like it or wear it either. To make it worse you leave the original “to” and “from” card on the gift. This is probably the most common fail.
- The Politically Incorrect Gift- It might seem like fun to you, but buying a child a BB-Gun or a DVD with foul language will probably not make the statement you were hoping for.
- The Self-Improvement Gift- You have decided your close female friend would be way happier if she lost 20 pounds and possibly kick start her romantic life. So you buy her some running shoes and a relationship rescue book….ouch! This is totally a rookie move and inappropriate since it implies your friend needs help. A move like this and the only self-improvement your friend will make is dumping you as a friend.
- The Thoughtless Gift- You baked your notorious walnut peanut butter cookies for someone with a nut allergy. It’s the thought that counts, but in this case there wasn’t any. You are sending the message that you don’t care about the person enough to spend any time or effort into what they want or need.
- The Novelty/Joke Gift- You may think a Chia Pet or farting keychain is the perfect gift for your father-in-law because he has everything. But he may not think it is so funny and the joke will be on you when he leaves you off of his gift list next year.